Service Forms are Due Thursday, April 20
Service Opportunities in May:
These service opportunities can be used to fulfill the service requirement for the 2016-2017 year or for the 2017-2018 year. Contact email@example.com or 818-949-4324 to sign up:
· Sunday, May 7, 6:30 PM Help serve at the Confirmation Dinner.
· Tuesday, May 30, 6:30 PM—Usher at the Inter-Faith Baccalaureate Service. This is a perfect opportunity if you have an older sister or brother who is graduating this year!
Year 2 Confirmation Interviews Are Almost Completed - Contact Jessica or Diane if you have not completed yours.
They are very short and informal, ~15 minutes.
Confirmation 2017 for Year 2 Confirmandi will take place on Sunday, May 7 at the 5:30 PM Mass. Our prelate will be Archbishop Gomez.
Please be at the Parish Hall by 4:45 PM with your Sponsor. We process into the Church starting at 5:15 PM.
Confirmation Reharsal with Sponsors will take place on Friday, May 5, 2017 at 7 PM in the Church.
If your sponsor cannot attend the rehearsal, a parent should stand in for them during the rehearsal.
Calendar for 2016-2017
- Brother's Helpers - Contact Roberta Peters at 818-438-7413 (Under 18 years old, must bring an adult to supervise.)
- St. Bede Parish Hall on Mondays, 1:30 - 3:00 pm and 5-6:30 PM (can just show up to serve)
- Holy Redeemer Parish on Tuesdays, 3:00 - 6:30 pm (can just show up to serve)
- La Canada Presbyterian Church (LCPC) on Wednesdays, 2:30 - 6:30 pm (can just show up to serve)
- St. James Parish on Thursdays, 3:00 - 6:30 pm (can just show up to serve)
- Skidettes- Contact Mary Ann Fell
- St. Bede’s parish hall on Saturdays, 8:00—9:30 am (can just show up to serve) Also
- Tuesdays 7-8 am
- Thursdays 7-8 am &
- Fridays 7-8 am
For Youth Ministry events go to our Youth Ministry page.
- April 30, 3:45-6:30 PM in John 23rd Room Sister Carolyn McCormack, O.P., will be our speaker on "Prayer"
- May 21 3:45-6:30 PM in John 23rd Room and Parent Track at the Same time in the Hall. The topic will be "Confirmation Seals our Baptism and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit."
- Be sure to sign up for your Confirmation Interview through Holy Week: http://www.signupgenius.com/
Parent Track Sessions -All High School Parents and Sponsors are Welcome to Join Us for Any Session:
- May 21, 2017 4-5:30 PM - Y1 Parent Track Session takes place in the Parish Hall with Fr. Peter Devereux, LC and Michelle Chandler. ALL High School Parents are invited to attend any and all Parent Track Sessions.
Our Parent Track Sessions are a new offering this year. Fr. Peter Devereux, LC, and Michelle Chandler lead our new sessions. Since parents are the primary catechists of their teens, we invite you to these sessions to strengthen your faith, polish your parenting tools, and connect with other parents at the same stage of parenting. We invite Confirmation (and all high school parents) to join us for four sessions that happen at the same time as Confirmation Class. The full year's schedule can be found in the Calendar.
The sessions this year will cover four main topics:
- Introduction and Prayer (Tools for parenting)
- Scripture (Tools for parenting)
- Parenting Teens
- The Hard Questions
Teen Lead Training
- April 24, 2017, 7-8:30 PM Teen Lead Check In (All YM & Confirmation Teen Leads and All Adult Leads) in Teen Room
- SAW - Signed Anointed to Witness - SAW is a 5-day/4-night Leadership Retreat for Confirmed Youth Leaders. There are two Locations:
- Santa Barbara - July 17-21
- Rosemead - July 30-August 3
- Contact Diane now to get an application. Applications are being processed now.
- CLI - Christian Leadership Institute - Only five teens per parish are invited to attend this dynamic week long Leadership program. Christian Leadership Institute (CLI) is a program that empowers young people to become leaders by preparing them to serve on their parish or campus ministry leadership teams. It is an intense week of training during which participants learn new skills, put those skills into action, and explore what it means to live in community. It requires a lot of work on the part of participants, yet it is fun and exciting. While it is based in a Catholic context, CLI is not a retreat. Contact Diane if you plan to be a Teen Lead next year and would like to be invited to CLI - the retreat fills up quickly, so get an application now.
Contact Diane to get an application. Applications are being accepted for both SAW and CLI NOW!
What is Confirmation?
Confirmation is one of the three Sacraments of Initiation in the Catholic faith, along with Baptism and the Eucharist. The Sacrament of Confirmation seals a Christian with the Holy Spirit that they may be strengthened to live out their faith fruitfully and boldy!
Our need for Confirmation as a sacrament to seal our Baptism is rooted in the traditions of the early Church and is also rooted in Scripture. In the Book of Acts we read:
14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
Many teens are at a significant point in their faith journey as they enter high school and are establishing their personal Christian identity. The Catholic Church invites these young people to enter into a two-year preparation process (usually beginning in 9th grade), where they can grow as faithful Catholics and discover their unique place and role in the Body of Christ.
Training for Teen Lectors
Would you like to be a part of the liturgy as a lector? You'd get to proclaim the Word of God in the Sanctuary to the Catholic community during Mass! If this ministry draws you, please attend the following training: No new lector training will take place until at least the end of November.
Interested in Volunteering with Youth?
Join the Confirmation or Youth Ministry Teams! All adults who enjoy talking with and working with teens are invited to explore options for helping with Confirmation or Youth Ministry next year. To find out more information, email or call: Diane Cwik firstname.lastname@example.org 818-949-4324 or Jessica Gerhardt email@example.com 818-949-4325.
Registration Forms for the 2017-2018 Confirmation process will be available in the April/May timeframe.
- Students generally start Confirmation in 9th grade.
- They are always welcome to start in 10th or 11th grade.
- Contact us if you have a High School Senior or College Student who is interested in being Confirmed in one year. They usually go through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults & teenagers) program.
- All High School students, whether enrolled in the confirmation process or not, are invited to join us on any Youth Ministry event:
Forms for 2016-2017
Year 1 Confirmation Registration Forms 2016-2017 Open in Adobe, fill out, then print and sign.
- Year 2 Confirmation Registration Forms 2016-2017 Open in Adobe, fill out, then print and sign.
- Sponsor Form
- Confirmation Family Handbook 2016-2017
- Confirmation Calendar for 2016-2017
Forms for Leaders and Volunteers